Cars for Homes
Help us build homes, community and hope!
Habitat for Humanity Cars for Homes program takes donated cars, trucks, boats, motorcycles, RV’s and other vehicles and sells them through automobile auctions, recyclers or salvage yards to raise funds that build simple, decent homes for Habitat. Donating your vehicle to Habitat for Humanity of Schenectady County, Inc. is a great way to support our work – plus, it’s fast and easy to do, and you may qualify for a tax deduction!
Proceeds from the sale of your donated vehicle benefit the local Habitat for Humanity affiliate and community where the donation is made and help Habitat families build strength, stability and self-reliance
Why should I donate my car or vehicle to Schenectady Habitat?
- All net proceeds from the sale of your vehicle will support Habitat for Humanity of Schenectady County, Inc. and help families here in our community.
- Your vehicle donation may qualify for a tax deduction.
- It’s fast and easy and towing is FREE !
How do I donate my vehicle ? You can donate your car in 3 easy steps:
- Start your donation online by navigating to our donation wizard, or call our hotline: 1-877-277-4344
- Our team will ask about your vehicle, including the make, model, vehicle identification number (VIN) and current mileage.
- When your vehicle is accepted, schedule a day and time for us to pick it up.
What paperwork do I need to donate my vehicle in New York State?
- Schenectady County will require a Certificate of Title in order to donate your car or vehicle.
- To complete your vehicle donation, transfer your title by entering the name of the agency that processes our vehicle donations, ADVANCED REMARKETING SERVICES in the buyer/purchaser field. Then, PRINT and SIGN your name in the seller/owner field exactly as it appears at the top of the title.
What types of vehicles can I donate?
Habitat for Humanity accepts all kinds of vehicles including: cars, trucks, SUV’s, RV’s, motorcycles, boats, planes and farm and construction equipment. Your vehicle does not need to be running in order to donate but does need to be whole and have all tires inflated.
For any questions, feel free to call our team at 877-277-4344 toll free or http://www.carsforhomes.org.
Frequently asked questions
When my vehicle is sold, how much of the money goes to Habitat?
Our partners at Advanced Remarketing Services return a higher percentage than any other vehicle processing entity. On a monthly basis, more than between 78% and 82% of the gross revenue generated from vehicle sales goes to Habitat for Humanity.
What happens after my vehicle is picked up?
Your vehicle will be sold on behalf of Habitat through a national network of auctions and direct buyers. After the vehicle has been sold, you will receive an acknowledgement letter providing your vehicle sale information.
How do I know my car is in good hands once it’s been picked up?
All the auctions and direct buyers used by Habitat are licensed, insured and bonded in the states where they operate. By signing the title directly to Advanced Remarketing Services, you are legally transferring ownership of your vehicle to Habitat for Humanity.
When your title is received and your vehicle is picked up, you are no longer responsible for the vehicle.
Are there tax benefits to donating my vehicle?
Find out more about car donation tax deductions.
What happens to donated cars?
About half of our cars are sold to licensed dealers at wholesale auctions and are reused for transportation. The other half are typically transported to auto salvage yards where all reusable car parts, batteries, tires and fluids are removed. Vehicles that can be recycled are crushed, shredded and recycled into steel.
Recycling cars keeps a huge amount of steel out of landfills – enough to build nearly 45,000 steel-framed homes every year. The energy saved each year is enough to power approximately 18 million homes!
Habitat receives funds for each donated vehicle, although a car sold at auction generally generates more revenue than one that is recycled. Every donation makes a difference and the families that partner with us are extremely grateful for your help.
Who is Advanced Remarketing Services, Inc.?
Advanced Remarketing Services is our authorized agent and attorney-in-fact for the purpose of selling vehicles and transferring titles. They handle the title transfer, towing and reporting of all vehicle donations.
Vehicle donations may be made online through the donation wizard or by calling 1-877-277-4344.
Office/Mailing Address115 N. Broadway
Schenectady, NY 12305
Habitat ReStore Schenectady115 N. Broadway
Schenectady, NY 12305
Phone: 518.395.3412 ext. 101